Wednesday, December 6, 2017

oh no! not another one!

This grammatical pet peeve (a new one now) is nothing if not downright funny. At first, I thought it was only this one waitress who said this, but then a few days ago my very own grandson said exactly the same thing! What is it?
First the waitress, when she saw that our coffee was getting low, she said:
"I'll go grab yourguys's coffees." First off, I hope she doesn't ever grab coffee. It could be quite dangerous, given the usual meaning of "grab"--but what is "yourguys's"?

Then my grandson, whose English is usually quite good, was driving my husband and me somewhere and then "to yourguys's house."  Very kind of him indeed, but he was really embarrassed when I pointed out that there was no such word as "yourguys's", a simple "your" will suffice. He said he knew that and couldn't believe he'd actually said that non-word. Then not ten minutes later he said it again.

No comments: