Tuesday, January 8, 2019

the new year, 2019

I really blew it with my Epiphany Letter this year! I hate to think my memory is going--I cherish it so much. But somehow I totally forgot what happened last New Year's Eve and wrote about the year before. Really! I still don't remember what we did New Year's Eve 2017/18. But it was the previous year that Frank had his stroke at midnight and then had to have the pacemaker put in. And that's what I announced in my annual newsletter. Our friends and relatives who knew better must have thought I'd really lost it, or maybe Frank had another attack. No, he's fine. But as for last year? I have no idea.
This year's New Year's Eve was peaceful. We had a light supper of leftover turkey soup, then I set out a platter for the two of us, of just crackers and Kerrywood Dubliner Cheese and some green olives. I opened a bottle of sparkling rose wine, and we started our nibbling and sipping about 6 pm. By midnight, the bottle was almost done, as were the nibbles. We toasted the new year, banged some kettles and things outside on the patio to announce the arrival of 2019. Then Frank went to bed and I watched tv for a while.
So, here's to a new year filled with happy memories--some of which I hope I'll be able to recall this time next year!

No comments: