Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What to do?

One of my faults is that when I have a story/article/book out at a publisher's, I have trouble focussing on writing anything else. How unprofessional of me! How can I be a writer if I don't write? So, I have three projects on my plate: MXME is the novel mentioned in an earlier post; Stepping Stones is a non-fiction book I did for my second ICL course. It's been around to a few agents and publishers, but no bites--just nice rejections. Nice rejections are nice, but they aren't as nice as acceptances. Besides, I have some problems with the book myself. I can think of several ways it can be improved. So that's the second project I've been tinkering with. The third is not a children's book, but a religious non-fiction one about the psalms. I now have four memory sticks, one for each book including the one at TouchWood Editions. Today in one of my email messages I get from writers' lists there was a very good idea. That is to challenge oneself to write a certain number of words every day and keep a record of it. So, I've inserted a page in the front of my private journal and labelled it "Daily Word Count". I'll list the date and the number of words written (in one of the above projects) and see if I can do better than I have been doing. I'd also count query letters, if I actually write any.

No comments: