Sunday, November 1, 2009

nanowrimo 1

Yesterday, hubby & I attended the NANOWRIMO kick-off event at the Old Spaghetti Factory in New Westminster. About 70 of us were there, much to the surprise and apparent delight of the organizers. We all got home (I guess) in time for Halloween kiddies. But FrSr (my hubby) and I stopped off at St. James for Evensong and stayed for Mass. That meant that today (Sunday) would be totally free.
I woke up this morning dreaming that I had written 2000 words of my nanowrimo novel. Of course I hadn't because the event just started at midnight last night & I wrote about 120 words before going to sleep. So I set up to do the 2000 today. Someone had suggested that a good way to get started was to go to the chatroom and check in and make a commitment. So I did that. Also, in with the goodies they gave us at the event yesterday was a little writing trick I'd never heard of before. It's 30-10, or something like that. It works this way: you write for 30 minutes and then take a 10 minute break. Then write 30 minutes & take 10 minutes off, and so on until you've been at it a couple of hours. For me, I needed more than 10 minutes to empty the dishwasher from last night, make tea, take my meds, and so on. So the first 10 minutes was more like 15. But I made up for it the second break, taking only 7 minutes. This process worked so well for me that I actually overshot my goal by a thousand words. I wrote a total of 3,280 words of the novel.
For those of you who forgot what nanowrimo is, it's: National Novel Writing Month (November). I have to write a 50,000 word novel by midnight, November 30th. So getting a good start is all very well. The question is, can I keep this pace up? Sure hope so. Met a few people yesterday who have done it. If they can, so can I. (And so can you!)

No comments: