Friday, September 6, 2019

first week of September

This time of year I get very nostalgic. I loved the first few weeks of school--new books, new notebooks, new friends. And from there on, it usually just got better. Oh yes, I had my share of grumpy teachers and mean classmates, but they were in the minority. Some courses I really disliked (math and science, usually) and some I enjoyed even if I didn't excel (history and geography). I generally did well in English, but that's to be expected of someone who is (or wants to be) a writer. And languages! I love languages. All languages. One of my favourite anecdotes I like to tell people--sometimes repeating it to the same people--so I apologize if you've heard it before, is about when I took German in high school.
It was right after the Christmas holidays, and my German teacher, Herr von Wittgenstein, met me in the hall.
"Diane!" he called out. "I would like to shake your hand." I stopped and stared. He was speaking to me?
"Yes?" I said. We shook hands.
He continued, "I have been teaching German in this school for twenty years. You are the first student to take my course, write my exam, and get 100% wrong."
I quit German that day, and switched to Latin. Much easier!
School days! How I miss them!

No comments: