Sunday, November 28, 2010

What categories?

The category idea didn't last long.  But I still think it's a good one, it's just that I'm not that organized, I guess.  However, I remember that category 1 had to do with my Rule of Life, and I think I wrote something about the Eucharist--or I was going to.  Today I thought I'd write about that, even if I had written on the subject before.  For Franciscans, the Eucharist is the heart of our prayer life.  Today, at our Franciscan fellowship meeting, I was reminded of some visitors we had a few months ago.  They were here from North Carolina.  The wife, Amy, is Franciscan but her husband isn't.  Nevertheless, the two were together every time we saw them.  We saw them exactly three times during their visit.  On the first day, they came to St. Thomas Church to meet us.  It's a small Anglican church, and we had Eucharist in the Lady Chapel at the side altar.  After that, we went to lunch at the home of one of the parishioners. The second time we met it was at our home.  The Fellowship meeting was being held there, and, as we always do, we celebrated the Eucharist again. After that, Amy and her hubby and I and mine went to lunch in a restaurant.  The third and last time we saw these new friends (whom we had never met before the morning at St. Thomas) they worshipped with us at Christ Church Cathedral.  Eucharist again.  It occurred to me that these visitors to Vancouver had a very good view of how we Vancouverites celebrate Communion--in small churches, in private homes and in big cathedrals.  If it seems excessive to you that we celebrate the Lord's Supper so often, just think of it this way: Don't you like to spend as much time as you can with someone you love?

No comments: