Wednesday, October 10, 2018

missed posting in September

I like to post at least once a month. I realized that to keep followers following, I should be more consistent. So, I apologize for not doing that.
So, what happened in September? For one thing, my birthday came up. My 80th, so that meant that we had to have a big celebration--Who knew I'd last so long? Not so old nowadays as it once was. But, because my dear husband is legally blind, partially deaf, and not too good with walking, etc., (although he claims that he is a good doorstop), I had to arrange my birthday bash. Just dinner in a very nice restaurant in Summerland. Zia's  Stonehouse Restaurant. I recommend it. And, because my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren are asking questions about ancient history--i.e., my childhood and when I was young, I've been working on my autobiography. Instead of chapters, it's in decades. So, when everyone was gathered for the dinner, I was able to hand out five copies of Decade 1, the first ten years of my life. It came with the promise that Decade 2 would be ready soon. Of course, there will be a total of eight decades, so I'd better get busy.
That was most of what occupied me for September: putting together all the notes I'd been scribbling down on bits of paper all over the place. Rather than have it as a straight narrative, the really boring bits are interrupted with Vignettes--random memories that sort of fit in. I don't promise to have it strictly chronological, and I warned the family that there might be some overlaps. But I've tried to keep it as close to the truth as I remember it and believe it to be. It's not a tell-all, just as much as I care to divulge to my family. It isn't for publication.
My novel (novels?) must take a back seat for a while, because I do want to finish the eight decades while I can. If I don't get to publish a novel, it will certainly be one of my regrets, but I think family history being passed on to the next generation or two or three is more important than my satisfying an ambition.

No comments: