Tuesday, December 9, 2008

meeting

This morning I had an hour with the writer in residence on Bowen Island. She had suggested I try writing in the first person, and I really didn't want to. However, what's the point of asking for advice if I'm not willing to at least try? So I wrote about five pages of the first chapter of the novel, Angels in the Flames. It wasn't easy, but I could see as I worked on it that some of the problems were being emphasized. This meant, I could see them and work on solving them. Okay. I'm going to keep trying with this, and maybe get the whole novel in the first person. I also want to chop up the chapters into smaller chunks and see if that will help, too. All in all, it was a worthwhile meeting. She seems to think that the novel has promise. Now I have to get at least three or four chapters done before mid-January so I'll have something to offer the publisher who has asked me to resubmit.

No comments: