Monday, May 25, 2009

children's safety tips 1

In the RCMP website (try http://www.rcmp.grc.gc.ca/ and go on looking for children's safety tips) there is a list of about 15 tips for keeping children safe. Today is, apparently, Missing Children Day, and so this list is how to keep children aware of how they might help themselves if they are in danger. On the news tonight there was an event when kids could have a booklet put together with all sorts of personal information, such as blood type, finger prints, a lock of hair, etc., to help police if necessary. Parents are advised to carry this "passport" everywhere, even when travelling. I'd think it might be a good idea to have a second copy of it in a safety deposit box.
The first tip for the children is that they should all know by heart their full name, address, telephone number, and their parents' places of work and contact numbers. I was rather alarmed a year or two ago when I found that my youngest grandson did not know his own address. I'm sure he didn't know contact numbers or work places, but I didn't ask, so I could be wrong. And this is only tip number one!

No comments: