Monday, February 23, 2009

birding

I've been enjoying this birding course very much. We've had two field trips so far. The first was to Boundary Bay, where we sighted hundreds of birds, mostly bald eagles and dunlin (which I've always called sandpipers, and they are a type of sandpiper, I'm told). We also saw redwinged blackbirds and three kinds of sparrows, also a few harriers and assorted ducks. The great blue heron didn't attract a lot of attention because, apparently, they're very common. Gulls weren't even mentioned.
Then last Saturday we went to the Reifel Bird Sanctuary. The paths were paved with well-fed mallards, hoping for a handout. I checked off twenty-one different species of birds on my checklist. A few notable ones were common mergansers, hooded mergansers, cormorants, coots, woodducks, pintail ducks, green-winged teal, and most especially the sandhill cranes. The last bird of the day wasn't even on our list: the black-hooded night heron. Only one bald eagle this time.
Next Saturday, it's off to Stanley Park. I hope to sign up for the next birding course, beginning in April.

No comments: