Monday, February 23, 2009

kindergarten

One of my favourite volunteer jobs for the past four or five years has been with the kindergarten class at Carleton Elementary School. Usually the teacher phones me in January and I go one morning a week until school finishes at the end of June. Last year, I had to bow out for the month of April because I was traveling in Italy and the UK. So, when the teacher didn't phone me this January, I thought maybe she decided to do without me altogether this year. Or, worst case scenario, she was ill. (She has MS, and so her health is a concern.) However, great news! She phoned me last week, and I'm on for Tuesday mornings. There's no greater way to start a morning than to have a five-year-old climb on your knee and say, "Mrs. Jones, will you p'ease read me a 'tory?"

No comments: